Create Great Content You Know And Love

Join In On Content Of Others! Build Vast Detailed Worlds To Show Your Might Or Romance!

Roleplay Galore!

With Our Lax And Feel Good Environment, You Can Create Roleplays Of Many Maturities!

You Can Also Have Fun With Just Chatting!

Feel Free To Join The Discussions Of Other Members Read Their Insight On Television Shows, Manga And Other Things. Just Join And Have A Chat!

Butler

Stadia: The Netflix of Videogames?

Google's Stadia  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Will you give stadia a try?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Not at launch, I will wait & see
    • I am not sure/I don't know.

Google announced on Tuesday at  GDC 2019  (Game Developers Conference) that it would launch this year a browser-based video game streaming service dubbed Stadia that attempts to capitalize on the company's cloud technology and global network of data centres. “We learned that we could bring a triple-A game to any device with a Chrome browser and an internet connection,” said Google chief executive Sundar Pichai. From they way it looks just so long as they run Chrome in some form or another, quite likely.

Yes, you read that right. The technology allows users to play games through their internet browser or YouTube without waiting for content to be downloaded to any device, such as phones, tablets, Tvs that are connected to chromecast, and your pc of course, making access to games potentially as easy as watching a video from YouTube. 

The game’s data is beamed over the internet, which means the latest graphically demanding games can be played on machines with relatively simple capabilities, as all of the computing power is performed by a remote server. Even under-powered PCs will then be able to play the newest games without the need for an expensive upgrade. Of course a stable internet connection is required as displayed in the stadia's beta (Project Stream) using 25Mbps, it also was only capable of streaming games at 1080p resolution. 

The system will be available instantly. There will be no downloads, no updates, no cheating, and no hacking. Likely largely because the system detaches the user from the machine on which the game runs, cheating and hacking will be rendered virtually impossible. Parental controls will also be made available in Stadia.

Players could enter games from links on YouTube or other social media (Crowd Play). Allowing couch gaming to make a comeback as you can jump right in the same game your friend is playing on. They can play using mice & keyboards, USB controllers, and you can your friend can even use your existing ps4 & xbox controllers to play with.

Only two titles were confirmed, Assassin's creed: Odyssey & Doom: Eternal. 

Stadia of course hits resolutions such as 1080p and lower (With the Stadia beta hitting 720p at its lowest) but they claimed that at launch that stadia will support 4k at 60 fps, and in the future create support for 8k at 120 fps.

Details about when, pricing, pricing plans, and what other titles will be available are unknown at the time of writing this article, Though they did announce that they would be creating games in-house. 

"waiting game will be a thing of the past," Phil Harrison, a Google vice-president overseeing the new service, said during a keynote presentation on Tuesday in San Francisco at the Game Developers Conference, which is bringing together this week about 25,000 people who work in the video games industry. 

Developers such as Id Software,  Ubisoft, Tequila Works, Q--games, And Square Enix,  show support for stadia and google has even sent over 100 developer kits to help companies get off the ground with stadia.

It's not a console but it might be a subscription service that could allow you to play any game in the world at the touch of the button, without the need to buy it physically. The only physical thing you can buy is the stadia controller:

StadiaControllerjpg.jpg

By no means visually revolutionary, the benefit to buying the stadia controller  is that the controller connects directly to Wi-Fi, which means lag and latency can be cut down as much as possible for extra fluidity. There are also integrated buttons on the controller allow users to access features like the Google Assistant, which you can ask for in-game help through the controller’s microphone. Lastly of course, there is a share button for sharing clips for youtube and live streaming your game online. The controller will launch sometime this year. 

As for the commitment of the service, Google played down the commitment issue. Google CEO Sundar Pichai presided over the Stadia announcement, a spokesman noted. “Commitment from Google doesn’t get more serious than that,” he said. “We are investing significant funds into the platform ensuring that Stadia will be a great experience for all gamers.”

Reactions to Stadia to the game industry have been mixed. 

One developer, Ubisoft co-founder Yves Guillemot spoke in a statement on the potential for long term play “The power and accessibility of streaming will give billions unprecedented opportunities to play video games in the future. We are proud to partner with Google on Stadia, building on what we’ve learned with Project Stream via ‘Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.’ This is only the beginning, and we can’t wait to continue collaborating closely with Google on what’s next for Stadia.”

And others of course were skeptical such as: 

Current game consultant and former Blizzard producer Matthew Householder felt less enthusiastic. “[Stadia is] yet another variation on the so-far unsuccessful thin-client approach. Any new service like this without an exclusive, hit game will simply fail to compete with entrenched platforms. Odd that a company with a huge war-chest would choose a battlefield with a low barrier to entry. Perhaps, this is just a way to promote Youtube and Google AI.”

As opinions sway back and forth there is no doubt of the competition against companies such as Microsoft, Sony, and Nvidia. Whether or not Stadia will succeed or flops, it will create major waves in the gaming industry.  

Opinion Piece

This is indeed quite a doozy, as I read & researched. I would say that this has a lot of potential with an implementation of a attractive price point & the accessibility of being able to even use low--powered devices to play AAA titles, It could become 'The Netflix Of Gaming' envisioned by some. I am looking forward to see what Stadia becomes and what paths it will take just to see what happens next. It's very exciting time to be a gamer to witness the existence the type of technology is available today for gaming. 

The parts I am concerned about:

• The price(s), money is the top priority for the consumer.

-Is it subscription based?
            -Will there be flexible plans?
            -Is it by 'buying by title' basis?

• Ownership

-To what extent is the game really 'mine'?
            -What will happen to games that are no longer supported when servers shut down for that game? or when the licensing agreement expires?
            -What could this mean for games 10 years down the line?
            -What happens when the subscription is cancelled?
            -Will crossplay &/or cross buy be a thing?

• Connection & Latency

-Will the service actually be able to deliver a smooth experience?
           -What about the majority of people who don't have a decent internet connection?
           -What about data consumption & Data caps? Will it be apart of the subscription Or do we have to rely on our ISP?

• Game titles & Availability 

-What games will there be?
           -How many?
           -How long will a game be accessible?
           -Will we be able to play older titles? 

The parts I am excited for are:

• The couch gaming features

-As I would love to play the same game with my friends in the same room, it would be great for kickbacks & even parties.

• The fact that stadia will be highly accessible

-To your devices such as your phone, tablet, computer, and tv. Imagine playing overwatch on your phone or tablet while on the go.

• The specs that are powering stadia which are very exciting & this technology will be updated as time goes by:

-CPU: Custom 2.7GHz hyper-threaded x86 CPU with AVX2 SIMD and 9.5MB L2+L3 cache
            -GPU: Custom AMD GPU with HBM2 memory and 56 compute units, capable of 10.7 teraflops
            -Memory: 16GB of RAM with up to 484GB/s of performance
            -SSD cloud storage

• The release date

Well, that is just my opinion! What about yours? What do you think/feel about stadia? Will it Succeed or flop? Will you go for the plunge & pay for stadia?

This is a nice article, I can see why you would be concerned. My question is how is the data stored for saved games? Do I have to restart every single time? All in all, Google is trying to make a very bold move with this Netflix of gaming idea. But I think they really shouldn't try to over expand themselves too thin and try to compete with Netflix.

I Don't Think It's A Competition With Netflix But One With Gaming Companies What I Have To Say Is, It's A Streaming Service It Won't Really Compare To Owning Your Own Games. It's Like Netflix You Don't Really Care To Go Back To The Movie After You Seen It. I Think The Opposite Is True For Games, You Will Want To. games Are Truely About Longevity, And Streaming Doesn't Give You The Best Way To Continue A Game. Let's Say After This Stadia Is Did And Done, What Happens To All Those Peoples Data And Games?

Controller is a game cube rip off.

honestly this is the first I’ve heard of it, tf they think they are going to be playing? Y’all know they can’t have tittles like rainbow 6 and warframe because of the fact they have separate accounts.

Micro transactions???? 

It’s just google trying to get their foot in the door with everything digital just like Disney is trying to take over Hollywood

New media will over run it like it has been for the past 5 years someone gaming industry is too established with things like steam for big titles and then there is always smaller private game developers and there will continue to be more every day

On 3/23/2019 at 12:23 PM, Fae said:

I Don't Think It's A Competition With Netflix But One With Gaming Companies What I Have To Say Is, It's A Streaming Service It Won't Really Compare To Owning Your Own Games. It's Like Netflix You Don't Really Care To Go Back To The Movie After You Seen It. I Think The Opposite Is True For Games, You Will Want To. games Are Truely About Longevity, And Streaming Doesn't Give You The Best Way To Continue A Game. Let's Say After This Stadia Is Did And Done, What Happens To All Those Peoples Data And Games?

Being fair I think a lot of games require some kind of internet now outside of things like god of war so idk how true it is to say you need to “own it” when you need server support, I don’t disagree it’s probably a bad idea just saying 

99D4168E-E958-48B5-B68B-0C1C07CBAAD9.png

^Us To Google^

@SaltyCracker98 @XiX Innoc @Butler

I Am Concerned About Owning A Game Cause Single Player Titles Are Still A Big Thing Who Knows What Types Of Subscriptions You Will Have To Pay Just To Play God Of War, Kingdom Hearts (Not Likely), Skyrim, Assassin Creed, Witcher, Horizon Zero, Spider Man, And You Effectively Lose Those Games If You Lose Your Subscriptions Effectively Making Every Game Need A PS+ Or Xbox Live Essentially. Many People Play Single Player Games Cause That's The Experience They Are Looking For, And When You Put A "Do You Have Money Or Do You Not Have Money" It Makes It Seem Off To Me. I Am A Believer Of "You Pay Once, You Get Your Game, You Pay Twice You Get And Extension" Not Continually Pay And If You Stop Bye Bye To Your Games.

It's Effectively To Me Just A Fancy Way Of Letting Someone Borrow Something 😂 I Prefer Ownership Of My Titles (To The Degree Terms And Service Allows).

I Get The Part On Servers And Stuff But That Has Never Stopped People From Making Servers Themselves For The Game. You Still Own Your Game If The Servers Go Down Especially If It Has A Single Player Champaign. You Get To Pop It In And Play Through The Story, That Won't Matter If You Know, You Don't Have A Copy That Allows You To Have A Simple Ownership Of It. LIKE Stadia Is Presenting.

Also Some Games Don't Need Servers Because They Run Peer To Peer. So It's Doesn't Really Matter About Servers In Some Points.