Hello everyone, I have some questions. So the longer you can stick around, the better.

Let me preface abit.
So I want to start a Rpg Fantasy/scifi Campaign, not using pathfinder or dnd like most campaigns use. I want to just dive in using the tools I have gathered in order.
I want to be able to go deep and provide a game that is both fun and engaging.

This means more than story elements.
I want puzzles, visual inventories, side quests, events, romances, sub-plots, horror elements, and so much more.
Just before I start that I need to know a few things. I would like the experience to be as visual as possible.

1) when starting a campaign what's important to you,
Something to grab on to, a plot that can diverge from its main structure or something that is neat and well collected?

I want to have elements where I can make it clear that a decision is being made that can change the outcome of a story. Where the plot has reached a fork in the proverbial road.

1-a) would it be cool to create elements that showcase this feature up front? or is a subtle approach better?

1-b) if I had events that played out more like a QTE, would you like that or would it be over baring?

(The QTE are called Critical Events, this plays out when words are marked in red. You have to find counter wording to each of these words. 'Some harder than others' in order for the event to play out in your favor. A certain point criteria is needed before you reach a score. A result will be post with the appropriate counter wording. Counter wording is dictated by situation not by opposing words themselves.)

2) would you like puzzles or would that just be a distraction for you mainly?

I want to design an easy payload without sacrificing much on the ways of the game play elements. I want puzzles like riddles, word play, inventory puzzles, matching, and sequences. But I dont know if this will be a bit much or if it is common. (Never started a campaign here)

2-a) and would you like a detailed skill tree?
(The skill tree would be fitted neatly in your character menu which will be updated by me mainly.)

I wouldn't mind creating the elements, I just want to know what would be a good fit.

3) in the world would you like skills created for your character class or would you prefer to create you own skills?

I dont mind doing both but I did have an element in the campaign where you can create skills and abilities by training with certain people and acquiring the help of arcane smithers.

4) how visual would you like this to be?

I dont mind since the campaign will be on here, to create a detailed visual experience but would the visual be distracting, which means you prefer to keep it as a purely texted based medium, or are visual elements fine? And putting it out there would make the experience smoother for you to find and associate?

5) (and this is a big one) I dont know how to handle an experienced system, such as leveling up and acquiring skill points.
Should I keep the leveling and experience systems as simple as possible?

5-a) and on leveling systems would you rather have your points allocate automatically or would you prefer to set the points in the field(s) of your choice?

This is just so I can understand rather you want an ease system where you just relax and make story decisions or is making level decisions a part of the experience as well.

6) Where should and shouldn't dice be implement?

Places like damage, luck rolls and such.
I don't want to follow to much of a suit. Meaning just cause dice are used a certain way in dnd or pathfinder, doesnt mean the use has to be the same in my campaign.

6-a) how do you handle damage calculation efficiently?
I am a dunce when it comes to that sort of calculation. I have no experience what so ever in that field, so I would love help with that. I heard it is simple but Mmm No damn clue.

If I think of anything else I will be sure to post it to this thread.

Something to grab on to, a plot that can diverge from its main structure or something that is neat and well collected?

One thing that's important to me in a campaign is something that you can grab on to. Give us something to cling to, next thing you know, we are hooked! 

1-a) would it be cool to create elements that showcase this feature up front? or is a subtle approach better?

I think it's really good to have a good mxture of both. Some that we can see coming and some that we have to think about.

1-b) if I had events that played out more like a QTE, would you like that or would it be over baring?

I would really LIKE for QTE to be put in there. It will give the campaign one of the game elements you are looking for.

Puzzles is a good way to get people to work together for parts of the campaign. I think some puzzles that require two or more  would be really good!

I want to design an easy payload without sacrificing much on the ways of the game play elements. I want puzzles like riddles, word play, inventory puzzles, matching, and sequences. But I dont know if this will be a bit much or if it is common. (Never started a campaign here)

(The skill tree would be fitted neatly in your character menu which will be updated by me mainly.)

Now this is where my intrest is piqued! I would really love for there to be a skill tree along with a classes! This would give it a nice RPG feel in the campaign. So yes, Skill tree please!!

3) in the world would you like skills created for your character class or would you prefer to create you own skills?

As much I want to create my own skills, that should be left to you, the World Master. This way you can manage what they can do. you don't need someone who is lvl 1 using Omni slash! lol

Visuals, I would like for it to be very visual. Make us get immersed in your imagintion, Your campaign.

5) (and this is a big one) I dont know how to handle an experienced system, such as leveling up and acquiring skill points.

Since this is your first campaign, I think you should keep the experience system simple until you get a good handle on it. 

5-a) and on leveling systems would you rather have your points allocate automatically or would you prefer to set the points in the field(s) of your choice?

I would like to allocate the points myself in the campaign. Co-operation right?

The dice should be implemented in the QTE and battles.

I am a dunce when it comes to that sort of calculation. I have no experience what so ever in that field, so I would love help with that. I heard it is simple but Mmm No damn clue.

I think you one way could handle that is through dice rolling as well. 

17 hours ago, XiX Innoc said:

One thing that's important to me in a campaign is something that you can grab on to. Give us something to cling to, next thing you know, we are hooked! 

I think it's really good to have a good mxture of both. Some that we can see coming and some that we have to think about.

I would really LIKE for QTE to be put in there. It will give the campaign one of the game elements you are looking for.

Puzzles is a good way to get people to work together for parts of the campaign. I think some puzzles that require two or more  would be really good!

Now this is where my intrest is piqued! I would really love for there to be a skill tree along with a classes! This would give it a nice RPG feel in the campaign. So yes, Skill tree please!!

As much I want to create my own skills, that should be left to you, the World Master. This way you can manage what they can do. you don't need someone who is lvl 1 using Omni slash! lol

Visuals, I would like for it to be very visual. Make us get immersed in your imagintion, Your campaign.

Since this is your first campaign, I think you should keep the experience system simple until you get a good handle on it. 

I would like to allocate the points myself in the campaign. Co-operation right?

The dice should be implemented in the QTE and battles.

I think you one way could handle that is through dice rolling as well. 

Thanks for your answer, but what should I do exactly, if you have any ideas, for the leveling system and experience system. 

I want you guys to get rewarded, 

Also a question for everyone is, should this be a hard or a more relaxing campaign. 

Well, this is a doozy. I'll answer you the best I can with my experiences with roleplaying , DnD-type games, & just in general.

I want to have elements where I can make it clear that a decision is being made that can change the outcome of a story. Where the plot has reached a fork in the proverbial road.

My answer: A good solid plot as a starting point. Make me care about the world & what's in it. You can have plot "check points" that you can plan depending on what choices the party makes while the party can fulfill side quests or expand on their storyline. It gives you flexibility in case they story goes into a different direction, & you can incorporate people's backstories into the main story for a more fulfilling experience for you & the players.

My answer: This one is hard for me, I do like being clear & concise to advert confusion but I appreciate subtlety because there's reward in paying attention. I guess go for a mixture of both. Have the obvious things obvious & you can sprinkle in some subtleties into the mix.  

(The QTE are called Critical Events, this plays out when words are marked in red. You have to find counter wording to each of these words. 'Some harder than others' in order for the event to play out in your favor. A certain point criteria is needed before you reach a score. A result will be post with the appropriate counter wording. Counter wording is dictated by situation not by opposing words themselves.)

My answer:  I like the idea of QTE, it makes it feel more engaging & challenges your wording a bit. It does sound fun honestly. 

My answer: I do appreciate puzzles, the only concern I have that it doesn't impede on your story. try to find a balance, like take resident evil 7. the puzzles are apart of the journey but don't impede on the story in my personal opinion.

I wouldn't mind creating the elements, I just want to know what would be a good fit.

My answer: I don't mind as long as I understand what I have & what I don't have.  

I dont mind doing both but I did have an element in the campaign where you can create skills and abilities by training with certain people and acquiring the help of arcane smithers.

My answer: I agree with both. You can start out with pre-set skills so there's something you can grow & evolve from. It's also fun discovering new skills from an npc or from a mysterious tome in a dungeon somewhere. It sweetens the pot more than just treasures, weapons, & spells when exploring. 

I don't mind since the campaign will be on here, to create a detailed visual experience but would the visual be distracting, which means you prefer to keep it as a purely texted based medium, or are visual elements fine? And putting it out there would make the experience smoother for you to find and associate?

My answer: I would love major visuals for important or major points of interest to the story. You can add smaller scale animations or visuals to heighten the everyday experience for the campaign so the player can be immersed. 

My answer:  I would say yes since you don't know how to handle an experience system. You can keep it simple from level 1 - 50 max & the same can apply to skills. You have a cap & you would have an idea of how strong you want your npcs to be & how to scale/level  the party.

This is just so I can understand rather you want an ease system where you just relax and make story decisions or is making level decisions a part of the experience as well.

My answer: I would prefer to set my own points so I can build my class but I think you should do it automatically because it would be easier for other players to be immersed into your campaign.  

Places like damage, luck rolls and such.
I don't want to follow to much of a suit. Meaning just cause dice are used a certain way in dnd or pathfinder, doesnt mean the use has to be the same in my campaign.

My answer: I agree on damage, & luck rolls. It brings an element of suspense. 

My answer: hm...same math isn't exactly my strong suit so, 

Let's say you have 100 hp with a str of 50

then the dragon has 500 hp with a def of 40

you can calculate the difference of your strength to the dragon's defense so

50 - 40 = 10 

You ending up actually taking 10 damage onto the dragon. 

This an easy thing to implement but you gonna fix this method a bit. Especially, if you have multiple stats then you are gonna have to fix it accordingly.

My questions are:

-How long will the campaign last?

-How will posting work in terms of player availability? Can the story move forward as long as every player has posted?

-Do you have any other mechanics in mind for your campaign you would like to implement?

-The campaign won't exactly follow DnD or Pathfinder? It's going to be its own thing?

-Will everyone be open to join at anytime? Or is it closed once all players sign up?

Hope my contribution helps!